7. Health Canada - Vibrio Laboratory
Following are the projects/sub-projects pursued in the Vibrio lab:
1. Population dynamics, trend and virulence of ‘Vibrio spp. in seafoods’, with reference to
(i) molluscan shellfish harvested in Canada,
(ii) shrimps imported from warmer regions into Canada, and
(iii) molluscan shellfish of Canadian origin at retail outlets in Canada.
2. Development of methods for the detection and isolation of Vibrio spp. from various seafoods.
3. Activities related to The National Vibrio Reference Service (VRS) of Canada, such as, comprehensive reference and research laboratory services are conducted for the national surveillance, clinical diagnostic and outbreak response capabilities.
4. Determination of the Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) pattern of the Vibrio spp., including V. alginolyticus, V. parahaemolyticus, V. vulnificus and V. cholerae, isolated from seafood in Canada, to Support Policy Development and Regulatory Intervention.